New Information on the Day After Mass Shooting
NEWTOWN, Conn. — On Saturday, police released what new information they could about the mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School Friday morning.
During a Saturday morning news conference, Lt. J. Paul Vance, state police spokesman, said investigators believe the assailant forced his way into the building.
How he got into the school remains a question because the doors were locked. At about 9:30 a.m., as announcements were read over the loudspeaker to the nearly 700 students, the first shots rang out.
Investigators looking for a motive in the Connecticut elementary school shooting found “some very good evidence,” Lt. J. Paul Vance said.
He said the investigation of the shooting scene will not be completed for at least another day or two.
The bodies of those killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown were transported to the office of the state medical examiner for post-mortem examinations, state police said.
Authorities were expected to announce the identities of the dead as early as Saturday.
Police say gunman Adam Lanza, 20, primarily targeted two classrooms of kindergartners and first-graders.
Within minutes, they say Lanza killed 26 people with chilling efficiency, leaving only one wounded survivor, according to Vance.
Three weapons were recovered from the school on Friday: a semi-automatic .223 caliber rifle made by Bushmaster was found in a car in the school parking lot, and two pistols made by Glock and a Sig Sauer were found with suspected gunman Lanza’s body, a law enforcement source said previously.
The weapons were legally purchased by Lanza’s mother, said the official, who was not authorized to release details of the case to the media, according to CNN.