Authorities: 3 Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide in Clay County Home
CLAY COUNTY, Mo. — Authorities are investigating after three dead bodies were found in an apparent murder-suicide in a home in rural Clay County on Monday afternoon.
Clay County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the home in the 19000 block of Neth Road near Trimble, Missouri, after a family friend called and said that she saw what she thought was a body with blood through a backdoor window.
According to deputies, the three victims are described as a man, woman and a 14-year-old boy. Authorities say that the man and woman had guardianship over the teenager.
Deputies say that their investigation is still ongoing, but that it appears that the man shot the woman and the teen before turning the gun on himself.The identities of the victims have not been made public.
Authorities say that friends and family members told them that there were concerns about the man’s mental health in recent weeks. Investigators say that they found what they are calling a “significant” amount of prescription in the home.
Neighbors told FOX 4 that the family was in the process of becoming the legal guardians of the teen, and that the couple had also raised the boy’s mother. Investigators are still trying to track the woman down to inform her of her son’s death.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet