Melomakarona (Semi-soft, honey dipped cookie)
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanillaa
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 8 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Syrup and Nut topping (below)
Cream butter and shortening together. Slowly add oil. Add eggs and beat thoroughly.
Add sugar, orange juice, vanilla and bourbon, beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, baking powder and spices: slowly add to batter along with walnuts, if desired. Knead slightly. Pinch off pieces of dough and shape into rounds or ovals about 1/2 inch thick.
Bake on greased baking sheet at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom. Cool slightly. With a slotted spoon, dip cooled cookie into hot syrup until well saturated: sprinkle with nut topping. Makes 8 to 9 dozen.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 honey
Boil sugar and water for 5 minutes: stir in honey. Simmer gently about 15 minutes.
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Rapper Andre Johnson in stable condition, doctors reportedly unable to reattach severed penis
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- Man who lost girlfriend in fatal highway accident shaken and confused
- KCPD Chief: Highway shootings suspect in custody
- Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"