Families Get Cars for Christmas
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Twenty people are now holding in their hands the keys to a car, given to them thanks to a special program called “Cars for Christmas.”
The families qualified for the cars because they have a special need, and Christmas is the right time to meet it.
Just last week, Cars for Christmas received 800 requests. Terry Franz, the official “Car Santa” organizes the charitable giveaway and reads all of the requests. He works with KC Elilite Napa Auto Care, which helps to get the cars ready, making any necessary repairs.
FOX 4′s Kathy Quinn was a Harrah’s Casino, where the car giveaway happened Friday morning.
Among the recipients was Amber Taylor, whose story FOX 4 told last week. She posted a picture of herself on facebook and it went viral. The picture was taken in the hospital and showed her beaten up. She accused her boyfriend of battering her.
In addition to the cars, gifts were presented to the families from other organizations. Whole Foods donated groceries, The Safety Council offered child safety seats, Farmland gave out Christmas hams, Tide supplied laundry products, and Hands to Hearts brought toys for the kids.
- Miley's illness, allergic reaction disappoints St. Louis fans too
- WATCH: Hilarious flight attendant offers free inflight entertainment
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Video: Train selfie goes terribly, terribly wrong