Four-Year-Old Recovering From Accidental Shooting
OTTAWA, Kan. — Monday afternoon several children’s bicycles were piled outside a small, brown house on North Oak Street near Dundee Street in Ottawa.
A spokesman for the Ottawa Police Department tells FOX 4 on Friday afternoon officers went to the house and discovered a 4-year-old boy had been accidentally shot in his upper left leg.
Prosecutors have charged 39-year-old Brian Bruno, the boyfriend of the child’s mother, with aggravated battery, aggravated endangerment of a child and criminal discharge of a firearm.
Investigators say Bruno was showing the handgun to a friend in the family’s living room when the gun fired once.
Police say Bruno apparently thought the weapon was unloaded.
A police spokesman also tells FOX 4′s Robert Townsend at the time of the accidental shooting the injured child’s 7-year-old sister and another 4-year-old who was visiting, were inside the home.
The injured child is the youngest of four.
“He’s doing fine. He’s just a little boy playing with cars. He’s fine,” says a friend, who stopped by the family’s house Monday while FOX 4 was there.
The woman says the boy is going to be okay and is expected to make a full recovery.
Bruno remains in jail on $25,000 bond.
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- No sign of Malaysia Airline wreckage; questions over stolen passports
- Sister: Mother who drove with children into ocean thought there were 'demons'