Creamy Potato-Cauliflower Soup
- 1 pound frozen cauliflower florets, thawed ¼ cup water
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 to 5 medium green onions, finely chopped ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons diet margarine
- ¾ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup fat-free sour cream
- 6 Tablespoons (1 ½ ounces) shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1. Bring cauliflower and water to a boil in large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer 12 to 14 minutes or until tender. Transfer cauliflower, any remaining water and 1 cup milk into blender. Cover, holding lid securely, process until pureed.
2. Return cauliflower mixture to saucepan. Add potatoes, all but 1/3 cup green onions, garlic and remaining 1 cup milk. Stir until blended. Cook on medium-low heat 10 minutes. Add margarine, salt and pepper. Stir until margarine is melted. Garnish with equal amounts sour cream, cheese and remaining green onions.
Makes 6 (1 cup) servings (1cup soup, 2 Tablespoons sour cream, 1 Tablespoon cheese and about 1 Tablespoon green onions)
Calories: 179, total fat 4g, saturated fat 1g, protein 10g, carbohydrate 27g, cholesterol 12mg, dietary fiber 4g, sodium 217mg.
Source: Diabetic Cooking, November/December 2007.