Mo. Ranked No. 4 for Dog Ownership
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — If you have a four-legged friend in Missouri, you’re far from being alone.
The American Veterinary Medical Association, or AVMA, recently released its Pet Ownership and Demographic sourcebook which breaks down pet ownership by state.
RELATED: Awkward family pet photos
Missouri ranked fourth — with 45.9 percent of households owning a dog.
Arkansas took top spot with 47.9 percent of homes having a pup, followed by New Mexico at 46 percent and Kentucky with 45.9 percent.
RELATED: Dogs behaving badly
With the good, comes the bad, AVMA said.
“The report reveals that fewer dogs and cats are seeing the veterinarian regularly, and that’s something that the AVMA and every companion animal veterinarian are concerned about,” the report said.
“Pet owners across the country need to remember to bring their pets into the veterinarian – at least once a year – to maintain optimal health.”
RELATED: Pets dressed for the holidays
The survey is conducted every 5 years.
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- No sign of Malaysia Airline wreckage; questions over stolen passports
- Sister: Mother who drove with children into ocean thought there were 'demons'