President Promotes “Mental Health First Aid”
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — President Barack Obama’s plan to curb gun violence includes funding for more school resource officers who could be armed. He’s also called for arming schools in a different way with Mental Health First Aid. He wants teachers and staff to get the training in spotting symptoms of mental illness including signs that someone might be harmful to himself or others.
Kansas City Metro’s mental health community has announced an already-planned expansion of Mental Health First Aid for adults. Their hope is to train up to 1,300 people this year.
FOX 4 Health Reporter Meryl Lin McKean is Working for You with the report.
For information on where the Mental Health First Aid course will be offered, click here.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- British woman says she wants abortion for better chance at starring on "Big Brother"
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet