President Promotes “Mental Health First Aid”
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — President Barack Obama’s plan to curb gun violence includes funding for more school resource officers who could be armed. He’s also called for arming schools in a different way with Mental Health First Aid. He wants teachers and staff to get the training in spotting symptoms of mental illness including signs that someone might be harmful to himself or others.
Kansas City Metro’s mental health community has announced an already-planned expansion of Mental Health First Aid for adults. Their hope is to train up to 1,300 people this year.
FOX 4 Health Reporter Meryl Lin McKean is Working for You with the report.
For information on where the Mental Health First Aid course will be offered, click here.
- Man killed, child seriously injured by gunfire at KC gas station
- Couple who recently celebrated 70th anniversary die within hours of one another
- Former roommate says suspected shooter looks much different than he remembers
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering