1 Dead, 7 Hurt in Indonesia Earthquake
JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) — One person was killed and seven were injured Tuesday when an earthquake hit the island of Sumatra in Indonesia, according to a government agency.
The 5.9-magnitude earthquake struck 37 kilometers (23 miles) under Aceh province, and a 4.7-magnitude aftershock followed 26 minutes later, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The casualties occurred in an area where several homes were damaged, said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency.
- Rapper Andre Johnson in stable condition, doctors reportedly unable to reattach severed penis
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Video: Train selfie goes terribly, terribly wrong
- Husband allegedly shoots wife after she was on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- Overland Park woman charged with rape of a minor