1 Dead, 7 Hurt in Indonesia Earthquake
JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) — One person was killed and seven were injured Tuesday when an earthquake hit the island of Sumatra in Indonesia, according to a government agency.
The 5.9-magnitude earthquake struck 37 kilometers (23 miles) under Aceh province, and a 4.7-magnitude aftershock followed 26 minutes later, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The casualties occurred in an area where several homes were damaged, said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency.
- Teen killed in accident on I-435 identified
- Police believe body found in Lawrence is that of missing graduate student
- Paraplegic woman defies the odds and challenges; loses 275 pounds
- Feds say maker of Android flashlight app collected info, gave to advertisers
- Belton restaurant apologizes for sign about scalping Redskins