Video: Gun Misfires in Assassination Attempt of Bulgarian Politician
BULGARIA — A Bulgarian politician’s life was spared after an gunman’s weapon misfired on Saturday. The assassination attempt was caught on camera.
The 25-year-old gunman’s target: Ahmed Dogan, leader of Bulgaria’s ethnic Turkish party known as the Movement of Rights and Freedoms (MRF). As Dogan stood behind a podium to address a group of politicians in Sofia, Bulgaria, the armed gunman stormed the stage. He pointed the gun at Dogan head and pulled the trigger. The gun seemingly misfired. Dogan then pushed the gun away from his face. The two struggled for a few seconds before the gunman was tackled to the ground by security. He was later photographed with a bloody nose.
Police arrested the 25-year-old gunman, who was said to be a man from the Black Sea town of Burgas, the Daily Mail reports.
The MRF party represents ethnic Turks and other Muslims who make up about 12 percent of Bulgaria’s 7.3 million people. Dogan was named honorary chairman on Saturday of the party he has led for 23 years, according to the Denver Post.
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Missouri cop charged with rape, supplying intoxicants to minor
- Three taken to hospital in bus accident