$376,000 Dating Scam Lands Kansas Man in Jail
LEAWOOD, Kan. — If there are dozens of nasty comments about a man on the website “Datingpsychos.com,” that’s probably not a good sign.
But a Leawood woman never knew to check that particular website when she started dating 61-year John Mark Johnson of Auburn, Kansas.
The now 61-year old victim gave Johnson $376,000 in 2009 after meeting him on the dating website Match.com.
Leawood Police say what John Mark Johnson did was theft by deception. He’s serving 60-days in the Johnson County Jail and is due to be released March 3rd.
He appeared in court Friday as part of a diversion agreement. Johnson has to pay his victim back but in a couple of years he can apply to have his record expunged.
FOX 4 reached the Leawood victim by phone. She says Johnson manipulated her not just financially but emotionally and she suspects she’s hardly his only victim.
- Rapper Andre Johnson in stable condition, doctors reportedly unable to reattach severed penis
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Video: Train selfie goes terribly, terribly wrong
- Husband allegedly shoots wife after she was on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- Overland Park woman charged with rape of a minor