Police Arrest Man Over Liberty Bell Threat
(CNN) — Police arrested a man Saturday for threatening to blow up Philadelphia’s iconic Liberty Bell, according to police spokeswoman Christine O’Brien.
The unidentified man apparently left two black backpacks in front of the Liberty Wheels wheelchair and scooter rental shop in downtown Philadelphia.
Police said a bomb squad was called in and secured the scene but found that the bags did not contain explosives.
“I have no idea why” the man did this, O’Brien said.
The bell is considered an iconic monument to American independence.
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom