KC Project Aimed at Reducing Readmissions
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Nobody wants to leave the hospital — and then have to go back in. But one in five Medicare patients is readmitted within a month. The total cost of readmissions to Medicare is 17 billion dollars a year.
The government is funding a project in the metro aimed at reducing those readmissions by linking patients with specially-trained nurses or social workers to aid them in the transition from the hospital to the home or nursing home.
FOX 4 Medical Reporter Meryl Lin McKean says the Community-based Care Transitions Program will include 15 hospitals.
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"
- Find out your Easter bunny name
- Police credit tips, collaborative investigating as keys to arresting shooting suspect
- Frank Haith resigns from job by sending a text message to his boss