Critics: Volkswagen Super Bowl Ad is ‘Racist’
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Well, this didn’t take long. A Super Bowl ad from Volkswagen is creating quite the buzz online — with one person going as far as saying, “It’s like blackface with voices.”
The 60-second TV spot was unveiled on Monday, almost a full week before the big game.
In it, it shows a white man who is apparently so happy he owns one of the German cars that he speaks with a Jamaican accent.
Critics argue, that’s racist — insinuating everyone in the Caribbean is laid-back and don’t have stress.
‘It’s just saying, ”Black people are happy,”’ complained Barbara Lippert, editor-at-large of Mediapost.com, on the Today show, Daily Mail reported.
Volkswagen has already responded, saying we’ve “done our homework” and consulted with 100 Jamaicans. There was even a dialect coach on set, the paper reported.
What do you think? Watch the clip and leave a comment below.
- Rapper Andre Johnson in stable condition, doctors reportedly unable to reattach severed penis
- Man who lost girlfriend in fatal highway accident shaken and confused
- KCPD Chief: Highway shootings suspect in custody
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Man drowns in swan attack, wife files lawsuit