Update: 3-year-old Boy Accidentally Shot while Father Cleaned Gun
MISSION, Kan. — Police on Friday said a 3-year-old Mission, Kan., accidentally shot himself on Thursday after his father left a loaded gun out while he was cleaning it. Police said the bullet traveled through the forearm and into the boy’s stomach.
The accident happened around 3 p.m. in the 6900 block of West 52nd Street at the Foxridge apartment complex. The gun was a 9 millimeter Glock handgun. Emergency officials said the child’s injuries were life-threatening but he is now in stable condition.
Police say there were three adults home at the time of the shooting, including the boy’s father, a roommate and the roommate’s fiance. The mother of the boy was not at the apartment at the time of the shooting but rushed to the hospital when she learned what happened. The father is not in custody.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet