Update: 3-year-old Boy Accidentally Shot while Father Cleaned Gun
MISSION, Kan. — Police on Friday said a 3-year-old Mission, Kan., accidentally shot himself on Thursday after his father left a loaded gun out while he was cleaning it. Police said the bullet traveled through the forearm and into the boy’s stomach.
The accident happened around 3 p.m. in the 6900 block of West 52nd Street at the Foxridge apartment complex. The gun was a 9 millimeter Glock handgun. Emergency officials said the child’s injuries were life-threatening but he is now in stable condition.
Police say there were three adults home at the time of the shooting, including the boy’s father, a roommate and the roommate’s fiance. The mother of the boy was not at the apartment at the time of the shooting but rushed to the hospital when she learned what happened. The father is not in custody.
- Man killed, child seriously injured by gunfire at KC gas station
- Couple who recently celebrated 70th anniversary die within hours of one another
- Former roommate says suspected shooter looks much different than he remembers
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering