OLATHE, Kan. -- It took firefighters less than an hour to bring a raging fire under control Friday afternoon at a house in the 1400 block of N. Martway Drive in Olathe.
The fire broke out at about 3:35 p.m., and flames were visible in the front of the house when crews arrived.
Firefighters began searching the home for a man they were told might be inside. They used a ladder to get into the back of the house on the second floor. They found William Outhet on the second floor and were able to bring him out the front door. They took him out to the front lawn and determined he wasn't breathing and had no pulse, so they started performing CPR and resuscitated him. The man was taken to the hospital in critical condition, suffering from smoke inhalation.
Outhet lived in the home with a roommate, who owned the home. Outhet's ex-wife and 16-year-old daughter arrived at the scene when they heard about the fire.
"My friend called me and said 'Your dad's house is on the news. You probably ought to get down there,'" said his daughter, Jamie Outhet.
"He has a hard time hearing after working at Owens Corning... that industrial noise," said his ex-wife Shannon Laber. "he's partially deaf so he may not have heard the smoke detector going off.
A dog and cat were also rescued from the home. Firefighters gave oxygen to the cat that the daughter says is hers.
FOX 4's Brad Underwood is on the scene as firefighters do another sweep through the home.
Refresh this page for our updates.