Man arrested for $6,500 copper theft in Shawnee
SHAWNEE, Kan. — Police have arrested a man in connection with copper found stolen from light poles in a Kansas neighborhood.
Shawnee, Kan., police say the copper was stolen in the 20300 block of W. 80th St., near Woodland Drive and 83rd Street around 4 p.m. Sunday.
Believing the person wanted for stealing the copper would come back, police kept an eye on the area. Just before 8 p.m., police say they saw a man tampering with a light pole. He stopped and question by police and was later arrested in connection with the copper thefts.
Police estimate $6,500 worth of damage between the stolen copper and power poles.
The man’s name has not been released.
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"
- Find out your Easter bunny name
- Police credit tips, collaborative investigating as keys to arresting shooting suspect
- Frank Haith resigns from job by sending a text message to his boss