Woman reportedly dies after drinking over 2.5 gallons of soda a day
NEW ZEALAND — A New Zealand woman died of a heart attack — some say after drinking too much Coca-Cola. The 30-year-old woman consumed more than 2.5 gallons of soda every day. According to the BBC, that’s twice the the amount of caffeine a person can safely consume and more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake.
Coca-Cola argued it could not be proven that their product contributed to Natasha Harris’ death. Coroner David Crerar said Harris’ soda consumption caused cardiac arrhythmia, a condition that causes the heart to beat too fast or too slow.
Harris’ family said she was addicted to Coca-Cola and would suffer withdrawal symptoms if she went without it.
“(She would) go crazy if she ran out … she would get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy,” said Vivien Hodgkinson, mother-in-law.
Harris suffered from tooth decay and had her teeth removed several years ago. According to the BBC, one or more of her eight children were born without tooth enamel.
While the coroner ruled Harris died of a heart attack, it remains unclear what caused it.