Mother explains why she killed her three kids
ST. LOUIS — Tammy Eveans admits she killed her kids. In 1989 police arrested her in Jersey County, Ill., for the murder of her 3-year-old son and two other children murdered in 1987 and 1988.
Eveans sat down with KTVI for an exclusive interview and explained why she did it.
In short, Eveans said she heard voices — voices that told her to kill her children. Over a three-year period Eveans smothered her three kids. Police had no reason to think Eveans was responsible for the deaths of her first two infants. It wasn’t until the death of her 3-year-old son on his birthday that police took notice.
In her interview with KTVI, Eveans said she never told anyone about the voices, fearing she would be put in a mental institution. In 1989, there was a stigma attached to mental illness. Eveans feared if she admitted to hearing voices she would never see her family again.
Now, Eveans believes she suffered from post-partum psychosis, a severe form of post-partum depression. Some doctors agree.
Read the differences between PPS and ongoing mental illness — and hear more from Eveans herself in KTVI’s in depth report.
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Where is Malaysia Airlines Flight 370? Traces of oil seen in area of last contact