Mindy McCready mourned at Florida funeral
(CNN) — A funeral for late country singer Mindy McCready was held in her hometown of Fort Myers, Florida, on Tuesday. Approximately 200 people attended the service, Billboard reports, which was held at Crossroads Baptist Church.
As McCready’s music played in the background, photos of the troubled singer were seen on a large video screen near the altar. Those gathered to mourn the 37-year-old included her brothers and her stepfather, who played his guitar and sang a song during the service, and McCready’s mother, Gayle Inge.
“I cannot imagine how we go on from here.” Inge said, according to local paper The News-Press. “Our Mindy was so tired. She felt helpless. I know she wanted to be healed. We talked about this … She was in her darkest moment and she was hurt by so many allegations. She was too emotional to understand.”
McCready broke into the country music industry with her successful 1996 debut, “Ten Thousand Angels,” but addiction and mental illness struggles overshadowed her promising career. She died at 37 on February 17 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities said.
McCready leaves behind two sons, Zander, 6, and Zayne, 10 months.
Another memorial for McCready’s peers and friends in the industry has been planned for March 6 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Missouri cop charged with rape, supplying intoxicants to minor
- Three taken to hospital in bus accident