Murder charges filed in fatal shooting near diner
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Kansas City man has been charged in connection with Tuesday night’s shooting near a metro diner, prosecutors said.
47-year-old Lionel Hernandez died in the shooting, near 37th and Broadway streets around 10:30 p.m., police said.
According to court records, Hernandez and Jeffrey A. Hulett, 37, who both worked at Chubby’s Diner, left the restaurant to purchase lottery tickets at a nearby gas station. It was sometime during that walk that Hulett killed Hernandez because he had “crossed the line,” court documents said.
Hernandez also admitted in court documents he had planned to kill earlier in the evening and went to the diner for the sole purpose of killing the 47-year-old.
When Hulett was arrested by police, he had a loaded semi-automatic handgun, court documents showed.
Hulett now faces first degree murder and armed criminal action charges in connection to the shooting.
Prosecutors said Hulett was being held on a $250,000.
- Police find the bodies of 7 deceased infants inside woman's home
- Fans tweet #MadMiley faces after "Bangerz" concert is canceled
- Mother of 14-year-old killed in hate crime gives touching statement about her son and father
- WATCH: Hilarious flight attendant offers free inflight entertainment
- Man known to FBI, Frazier Cross Jr. suspected of hate crime murders of three people