Murder charges filed in fatal shooting near diner
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Kansas City man has been charged in connection with Tuesday night’s shooting near a metro diner, prosecutors said.
47-year-old Lionel Hernandez died in the shooting, near 37th and Broadway streets around 10:30 p.m., police said.
According to court records, Hernandez and Jeffrey A. Hulett, 37, who both worked at Chubby’s Diner, left the restaurant to purchase lottery tickets at a nearby gas station. It was sometime during that walk that Hulett killed Hernandez because he had “crossed the line,” court documents said.
Hernandez also admitted in court documents he had planned to kill earlier in the evening and went to the diner for the sole purpose of killing the 47-year-old.
When Hulett was arrested by police, he had a loaded semi-automatic handgun, court documents showed.
Hulett now faces first degree murder and armed criminal action charges in connection to the shooting.
Prosecutors said Hulett was being held on a $250,000.
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- No sign of Malaysia Airline wreckage; questions over stolen passports
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Sister: Mother who drove with children into ocean thought there were 'demons'