UPDATE: Twin sisters ID’d in double suicide at park
SHAWNEE, Kan. — Twin sisters killed themselves in a shooting Wednesday afternoon at a park in Shawnee, Kan. as part of a “suicide pact,” Sheriff Frank Denning said.
The sisters have been identified as Sharon E. Bartley and Susan E. Howard, both of Johnson County, Kan.
The incident happened at Mill Creek Streamway Park near Shawnee Mission Parkway and Barker Road around 3 p.m. Wednesday.
The bodies of Barltey and Howard were found about 150 yards into the park on a trail.
A visitor to the park alerted a Park Police officer to the scene.
Neighbors told FOX 4 they reported hearing “several” gunshots around 3 p.m.
The area is popular to people who run and jog, neighbors said.
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom