Man remembered in Shawnee industrial explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAWNEE, Kan. -- An employee at Rieke Grading was killed after an industrial accident Monday morning.

Nicholas Jerde, 23, of Kansas City, Mo., died when he was using a blow torch to work on a vacuum truck valve. Firefighters say the torch ignited some vapors and caused an explosion.

The accident happened around 9:27 a.m. at 82nd and Hedge Lane in Shawnee, Kan.

Jerde was pronounced dead before firefighters arrived.

No other information was immediately available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s