When J.K. O’Hanlon left corporate law to pursue a myriad of other interests, one was mixing the perfect cocktail with as much ease and simplicity as possible. Her first book, “3 Ingredient Cocktails,” is a must-have guide for mixology newbies and anyone setting up their first home or first home bar.
If you are looking to get into the St. Patrick's Day Irish vibe, but want to feel suave and cool compared to the guy drinking green beer and wearing a plastic green bowler hat, try one of these J.K. O'Hanlon approved cocktails for St. Paddy's day:
The Emerald: Feel the cool of a Manhattan, but with an Irish mayhem twist. Instead of rye whiskey or bourbon in a traditional Manhattan, an Emerald uses Irish whiskey.
- 2 oz. Irish whiskey
1 oz. sweet vermouth
2 dashes angostura bitters
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry. Look dapper.
Irish Coffee Cocktail: All the great tastes of Irish coffee in a martini glass.
- 1 oz. Baileys Irish Cream
1 oz. Irish whiskey
1 oz. espresso (feel free to use the instant stuff -- I do all the time!)
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. So much sexier than Irish coffee in a mug!
In her book, “3 Ingredient Cocktails,” which can be ordered from www.thirstyjane.com or amazon.com, O’Hanlon demystifies the art of drink mixing and teaches how to craft a variety of cocktails with ease. In the process, readers master:
- How to stock a home bar without gutting your bank account
- Five simple and delicious cocktails from each of the categories (gin, tequila, rum, vodka, whiskey, plus the “whatnots”)
- The history and distinctive characteristics of the various liquor types
- A few basic and not-so-basic techniques for mixing and serving cocktails
- A steady supply of drinking factoids worthy of showing off at a cocktail party
- ISBN: 978-0-9882739-1-7