Boy, 10, leads police on chase, wrecks mom’s car
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — A 10-year-old boy who was mad at his mom took off with her car and led police on a short chase Sunday morning.
According to Independence Mo., police, the boy’s mother caught him smoking and got mad at him. That’s when the boy grabbed his mother’s car keys and drove off.
The frantic mother called 911.
Police said they spotted the car, with the boy driving, headed southbound on 291 Highway and began to clear a path so he would not hit anyone. Officers said they also followed at a distance as to not “spook” the child.
At one point, the child swerved and tried to hit police, but missed. The boy wrecked the car at 291 and 40 highways where he was taken into custody.
No one was hurt in the incident.
Listen to the dispatch tapes below released by police.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- British woman says she wants abortion for better chance at starring on "Big Brother"
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet