Boy lit sanitizer on fire, threw at fellow student

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAWNEE, Kan. -- A 12-year-old boy was taken to juvenile detention after police say he used hand sanitizer to flick flames at another boy at his school.

Police say it happened at Hocker Grove Middle School before school Wednesday morning.

According to police, the 12-year-old boy put hand sanitizer in his hand, lit it on fire and flicked the burning liquid at a 13-year-old boy, injuring him. A school nurse tended to the boy's burned face and then he went to his own doctor. The boy did return to school later.

The juvenile could face aggravated battery charges and possibly an aggravated arson charge.

Police say the boy indicated another student told him about the hand sanitizer fire, saying it was a party gag, so he decided to try it.  Police said there did not appear to be any animosity between the boys.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s