Halls to close Plaza location next summer, move to Crown Center
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Halls department store announced Tuesday they will close their Country Club Plaza location next summer and move to a new, 60,000 square foot location at the Crown Center.
With a $10 million investment at the center, the new store will be the sole retail tenant on the third level of the Crown Center Shops and will feature the current Halls departments as well as an in-store café, Halls announced.
The existing Halls store inside Crown Center will close early next year to allow for construction for the new store, the company said.
“It is exhilarating to be a part of the ongoing revitalization of both Crown Center and downtown Kansas City. Halls operated out of several downtown locations for 50 years before opening the Plaza store in 1965 and the Crown Center store in 1973. As the store evolves into the new Halls, we will transcend the traditional retail landscape, creating instead a vibrant, one-of-a-kind shopping destination,” said Halls President Kelly Cole.
Current tenants on the third floor of Crown Center will meet with the company about the individual store’s plans, a message said on their website.
Below is a look at the proposed store:
- Man killed, child seriously injured by gunfire at KC gas station
- Couple who recently celebrated 70th anniversary die within hours of one another
- Former roommate says suspected shooter looks much different than he remembers
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering