Sophie Perkins appointed guardian of Zoey Belcher
Thursday a Jackson County Court awarded custody of Zoey Belcher to Sophie Perkins, Kasandra Perkins' cousin.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Thursday a Jackson County court awarded custody of Zoey Belcher to Sophie Perkins, the cousin of the late Kasandra Perkins. Sophie Perkins was issued full powers of guardianship according to a court filing signed by Commissioner Daniel P. Wheeler.
The Commerce Trust Company was appointed as the conservator of Belcher’s estate, with Scott R. Manuel being appointed a limited conservator. Both Commerce Trust and Manuel have the power to investigate and prosecute any and all damages that may arise from the death of Belcher’s parents, Jovan Belcher and Kasandra Perkins. Belcher murdered Perkins and then took his own life on December 1, 2012.
The court concluded that both sides of the family acted heroically to determine the best course of care for Zoey Belcher. It claimed that both parties, including Belcher’s grandmother Cheryl Shepherd, are appropriate to serve as guardians. The court said that its decision was based on the premise that Sophie Perkins serves the best interest for stable and permanent placement.
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps off building, but survives
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Video: Train selfie goes terribly, terribly wrong
- Husband allegedly shoots wife after she was on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- Overland Park woman charged with rape of a minor