OP woman wins $25K after Royals’ grand slam
Debbie Hassed won $25,100 in a Sonic Grand Slam promotion with the Kansas City Royals on July 4, 2013. (WDAF-TV)
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — An Overland Park woman is $25,100 richer this Independence Day thanks to the Kansas City Royals and a promotion from Sonice drive-in restaurants.
Earlier this week, Debbie Hassed, a lifetime Kansas City resident and Royals fan, found out she had been chosen as the Sonic Grand Slam participant for the Royals’ Independence Day game.
In the promotion, if there’s a grand slam in the sixth inning, you get $25,000. It happened on Thursday.
During the bottom of the sixth, the Royals had the bases loaded and Lorenzo Cain stepped up to bat.
“Still thinking the odds of this are still low,” Hassed told FOX 4. “He kept fouling them away, fouling them away, then I hear the bat. He hits it well [into] left center field.”
And that’s when Hassed realized she had won. “I went crazy,” she said.
Cain’s grand slam help propel the Royals to a 10-7 win over the Cleveland Indians.
“It was a great feeling you know,” Cain said. “Like I said, to win somebody $25,000… that’s an awesome feeling.”
The Royals didn’t have the exact stats by airtime, but according to a search by FOX 4, this is only the third time someone has won the cash since the promotion began in 2004.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- British woman says she wants abortion for better chance at starring on "Big Brother"
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet