Locals do well at National Youth Weightlifting Championships
by Taylor Dawson
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. — A group of kids from Johnson County and Leavenworth competed in The 2013 National Youth Weightlifting Championships recently bringing home national championships .
The competition was held at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph, Mo., in late June for ages 17 years old and younger. Each lifter attempted 3 snatch lifts and 3 clean and jerk lifts. The lifter’s best snatch was added to their best clean and jerk to determine the total.
First place medalists were Nathan Damron 17 (Gardner), Hannah Damron 15 (Gardener), Olivia Perez 15(Leavenworth), and Dean Sciccitano 13 (Leawood). Justin Flickner, age 14, from Shawnee won fourth place setting a new personal record.
Abby Flickner, age 9, from Shawnee, one of the youngest and smallest in the competition, finished third in her classification.
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet