Locals do well at National Youth Weightlifting Championships
by Taylor Dawson
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. — A group of kids from Johnson County and Leavenworth competed in The 2013 National Youth Weightlifting Championships recently bringing home national championships .
The competition was held at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph, Mo., in late June for ages 17 years old and younger. Each lifter attempted 3 snatch lifts and 3 clean and jerk lifts. The lifter’s best snatch was added to their best clean and jerk to determine the total.
First place medalists were Nathan Damron 17 (Gardner), Hannah Damron 15 (Gardener), Olivia Perez 15(Leavenworth), and Dean Sciccitano 13 (Leawood). Justin Flickner, age 14, from Shawnee won fourth place setting a new personal record.
Abby Flickner, age 9, from Shawnee, one of the youngest and smallest in the competition, finished third in her classification.
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps off building, but survives
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Video: Train selfie goes terribly, terribly wrong
- Husband allegedly shoots wife after she was on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- Miley's illness, allergic reaction disappoints St. Louis fans too