Glorified ‘thigh gaps’ threaten self image of teen girls
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It’s all over media sites like Twitter and Instagram. It’s called the “thigh gap” and it could create a dangerous goal for teen girls.
The “thigh gap” is basically your thighs not touching when your feet are together and it’s being glorified through pictures posted online. The experts worry it’s putting unrealistic pressure on teen girls and can lead to eating disorders because they’re dieting and exercising to an excess.
What many teens don’t realize is many of the pictures are Photoshopped.
Doctors urge parents to talk to their daughters and tell them that thighs that touch are normal and healthy.
“It’s very rare that natural, healthy woman could have this type of body shape,” said Heather Gallavin, licensed psychologist.
Photos of thigh gaps can also be found on sites like Tumblr, which is mainly a young adult or teen site that many parents may not know about.
- Miley's illness, allergic reaction disappoints St. Louis fans too
- WATCH: Hilarious flight attendant offers free inflight entertainment
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Reps. from KKK, Aryan Nation denounce Jewish center shootings
- Video: Train selfie goes terribly, terribly wrong