Inmate suspected of kidnapping teen found dead in jail cell
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — A 23-year-old man in custody after being arrested for kidnapping a 15-year-old girl was found dead in his jail cell Tuesday night in Wyandotte County, Kan.
Lt. Kelli Bailiff said Elijah McPike had taken his own life.
McPike was in the Wyandotte County jail awaiting his return to Harrison County to answer the charge of kidnapping when he was found. Bailiff said cell checks are done once an hour and that a cell check was done at 7:33 p.m. and that McPike was discovered at 8:24 p.m.
On Thursday, Aug. 8, the Missouri Highway Patrol issued an alert for a missing and endangered teen believed to be with McPike. The teen, identified as Baily Ann Summers, 15, had an order of protection against him.
According to police reports, McPike was arrested on Aug. 9.
Summers is presumed to be safe.
- Man killed, child seriously injured by gunfire at KC gas station
- Couple who recently celebrated 70th anniversary die within hours of one another
- Former roommate says suspected shooter looks much different than he remembers
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering