Investigation reveals bullet fired on I-35 may have been accidentally discharged
MIAMI COUNTY, Kan. – A bullet that struck a man driving his family to a weekend lake getaway last Friday may have been shot accidentally according to the Miami County Sheriff’s Office. Mark Vanderweide, 33, of Olathe, Kan. was driving his family’s van southbound on Interstate 35 at Edgerton Road when he was struck in the leg by a bullet. He is still recovering but is reported to be doing well.
The sheriff’s office investigation revealed that a juvenile was shooting target practice at the time of the shooting. The juvenile was on a relative’s property and used a pond dam as a back stop for target practice. The relative’s property is on Edgerton Road and I-35 runs behind the pond dam.
The sheriff’s office is referring the case to the Miami County Attorney’s Office for further review. No arrests have been made.
- Rapper Andre Johnson in stable condition, doctors reportedly unable to reattach severed penis
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- Man who lost girlfriend in fatal highway accident shaken and confused
- KCPD Chief: Highway shootings suspect in custody
- Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"