Investigation reveals bullet fired on I-35 may have been accidentally discharged
MIAMI COUNTY, Kan. – A bullet that struck a man driving his family to a weekend lake getaway last Friday may have been shot accidentally according to the Miami County Sheriff’s Office. Mark Vanderweide, 33, of Olathe, Kan. was driving his family’s van southbound on Interstate 35 at Edgerton Road when he was struck in the leg by a bullet. He is still recovering but is reported to be doing well.
The sheriff’s office investigation revealed that a juvenile was shooting target practice at the time of the shooting. The juvenile was on a relative’s property and used a pond dam as a back stop for target practice. The relative’s property is on Edgerton Road and I-35 runs behind the pond dam.
The sheriff’s office is referring the case to the Miami County Attorney’s Office for further review. No arrests have been made.
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- No sign of Malaysia Airline wreckage; questions over stolen passports
- Sister: Mother who drove with children into ocean thought there were 'demons'