Congress still being paid during shutdown, but some refuse or donate
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Some lawmakers are letting constituents know they do not expect to be paid while the government is shutdown.
Among the ones FOX 4 contacted and who responded to our inquiries, U.S. Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-Missouri) and U.S. Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Missouri) said they have requested their salaries be suspended until federal employees are back on the job.
U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri) said she will donate the salary she earns during the shutdown to charity.
- Mark Alford raises his hand to show he was among the millions hacked
- Photo released of officer's condition after shooting assault suspect
- Warrensburg police arrest men suspected of kidnapping mom and young son from Walmart
- Man comforted by police actions in the aftermath of wife's murder
- Pick pocket thief posed as a disabled man in a grocery store