Watch live: Ferguson leaders & business owners

Family grieving for child killed in fire

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — A family is in mourning after the loss of a 4-year-old,  but praises the efforts of her sister who tried to save her life. That seven-year-old is still being treated for smoke inhalation at the University of Kansas Hospital.

Shana Jackson said it’s hard to believe her four-year-old daughter, Sh’Mere Jackson-Green is gone.

“My neighbor called me. I was at work when it happened, and said I have one of your children and your house is on fire,” Jackson said. “I do not believe it, I still don’t believe it.”

The KCK Fire Department said that the house did not have working smoke detectors when the fire began around 4 a.m. on Sunday.

“I didn’t check them regularly, I probably should have, I didn’t,” Jackson said.

Another relative said seven-year-old Sh’Briell Jackson-Green was able to make it out of the house and try to save her sister too.

The family said Sh’Briell did a heroic thing. October is ‘Fire Prevention Month’ and if you haven’t checked your smoke detector lately, you should. If you don’t have one, contact your local fire department. Many departments give them away for free.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s