North Dakota mom plans to give letter (not candy) to obese trick-or-treaters

Posted on: 6:36 am, October 30, 2013, by , updated on: 01:44pm, October 30, 2013

FARGO, N.D. — A mother in Fargo, N.D., is not making friends with her position on child obesity at Halloween.

The mother told a radio station that if an obese child comes to her house for trick-or-treating, she will give them a letter instead of candy.

When neighbors found out about the letter, many were not happy.

The letter says:

Happy Halloween and Happy Holidays Neighbor!

You are probably wondering why your child has this note; have you ever heard the saying, “It takes a village to raise a child”?  I am disappointed in “the village” of Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo.

You child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season.

My hope is that you will step up as a parent and ration candy this Halloween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits.

Thank You.

In a radio interview, the woman defended her plan.

“I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight… I think it’s just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just ’cause all the other kids are doing it.”

Did you miss Mark and Loren’s comments this morning on this story?  See if you agree.

Watch here:

• Amie says:

My parents raised me not “to judge other” or some say “to stereotype”. What is wrong with this world? This women should just close her door and turn her light off if she is worried about “obesity”. These children/kids know that they are over weight they don’t need a stranger telling them that. Children commit suicide daily, most of the suicides are because of what we call “being a bully”. There are other ways to handle things. I don’t agree with this at all, but that is my opinion.

• I agree with your statement. Now, let’s update our thoughts with present administration. Kids can no longer bring food from home due to alergies in others. We are teaching diversity training to everyone. Michelle is on the health kick in schools to lose weight and do more exercise. Are they the only ones that can have an opinion for us that we listen to? The word shame used to be in our vacabulary. That has been replaced with entitlement. And another thing, do you agree with our national health insurance? A fat person will pay the same as someone that is thin. why is that? We are NOT all the same and shame must come in sometime in our individual lives. Parents no longer use the word to their children for any reason.

• Kristi says:

Did she identify herself? No? Because she knows she is wrong for doing this. Is she a pediatrician or a nutritional specialist? And even so, on Halloween there are no fat kids, just little kids having fun. I hope the kids abuse her house tonight because if ANYONE deserves a good dose of Mischief Night it is this lady!

• Sarah Hughes says:

SERIOUSLY!!! she has no right at all

• sMackenzie says:

who is she to tell kids what they can and cant have. We all come in different size’s give me a break

• I can understand her concern but this is not the way to go about it. If she doesn’t want to contribute to children’s obesity then give out a non-food item treat. Pencils, plastic spider rings, or other Halloween themed party favor gifts. My most favorite trick or treat gift I received as a child was a toy fluttering bird. I still remember that over 40 years later! We give out boxes of raisins. Still sweet, but a healthy snack.

• James says:

Lame. Most of the time the candy goes in the garbage or the parents eat it anyway. My kids don’t really like candy but the fun is the getting dressed up and trick-or-treating. This woman is really putting a target on herself in the neighborhood, LOL.

• Ann says:

Well, we know which house is getting TP’d tomorrow.

• Alex says:

If she actually cared about others kids she would not give candy at all instead she is advertising her plan to get some sort of attention. This woman is obviously just an attention hog.

• shane c. says:

Why would she want to ruin a kid’s Halloween with a snidely worded note? Is she going to drop a treat in everyone’s bag, then hand fat kids the note? The kid will stop and read it and be devastated, in front of their friends. Shame on her, what a rotten neighbor she must be.Self righteous busybody! Hope she gets egged.

• elleberra says:

She must not have any business of her own to mind. That doesn’t excuse her butting her nose into other peoples though. If she doesn’t want kids to be obese she could just refrain from giving them candy herself.

• Paul says:

These are the neighbors that my generation egged.on November 1.

• Connie says:

Wow , what a way to encourage self esteem…not! I agree with above comments a small toy, turn off the lights, apples could be done. That lady should be ashamed of herself for judging and handling the situation that she so called concerned about , so cruelly.

• Rachel says:

It is disgusting that this woman would think it is alright to judge a child and there weight. That is non of her business and if she would give either of my children a note like for Halloween i would have some choice words for her. She is only aiding that child in having a complex and telling them that they have to be thin to celebrate in a holiday like Halloween. She is a horrible woman and Karma will pay that woman a visit. And Karma will not be nice to this woman.

• shannon sharp says:

What a horrible woman. I am outraged by this.

• Jennifer says:

This woman should turn out her lights and give to no one if she feels so strongly. Just because a child is larger does not mean they don’t get outside and exercise, consequently just because a child is smaller does not mean they’re healthy. Genetics does play a factor, this lady needs buy a clue.

• Stephani says:

First off, there are more reasons to trick and treating other than “because other kids are” second, who is she to determine what the weight bearing issue is….? Third, who’s out there “begging for free candy!?” Clearly if you can’t understand the tradition in it you should keep your opionated light off! And again WHO are you to JUDGE?! That child may appear overweight and could very well be HEALTHY….

• Chantel Rae says:

I feel like it was the right intention but the wrong execution. What I remember about Halloween is the memories not all the candy I got.

• frogbfound@gmail.com says:

raisins, apples, orange,s bananas, pears. really a nasty letter? grow up lady just turn your light out.

• Terri says:

She’s a grown bully and someone should stand outside her residence and warn people. They’ll know who she is as soon as they get the notes.

• jr says:

I hope some eggs the shit out of her house that is why suicide amongst kids is so because of people like that that is a bully right there i wish someone would put a letter like that in my sons bag i rip the whole bowl out of there hand and dump the whole thing in his bag and say thanks loser

• mary says:

Give them a small toy instead…going way to far with that letter!

• Onewhowonders says:

This women is sick It doesn’t take a village to bring up a child. It takes loving parents to do so. Apparently, she needs a village to care for her children because she is incapable of doing so herself. She wouldn’t be such a busy-body interfering with the rights of the other children in her neighborhood if she was capable of standing on her own two feet. She has a lot of nerve if she goes through with that disgusting letter to any child that unknowingly rings her door-bell.

• Nikki says:

If you want to make a statement like this, feel free. However, it is wrong to single out one demographic-This is a form of discrimination against overweight persons

• Amanda says:

How has no one mentioned her terrible grammar!? She needs to stop spending so much time judging others and take a look at herself.

• PJSparkles says:

This woman is an “IDIOT”…Where does she get off, telling this to other parents. It is not her place to be telling the kids this, yet alone their parents. Just imagine what these kids will think after reading that letter. I hope that all the kids skip her house this year…..

• Geoff says:

Hahahahahah Lol! That’s like in the great pumpkin. Kids: “I got five pieces of candy. I got a chocolate bar. I got a quarter.” Charlie Brown: “I got a rock.”

• Nan Maas says:

She is a bully in her own way.

• Sara says:

She has no idea what the home life is like for these kids. It may be the only night of fun they have in a long time. Let kids be kids. Let them forget all their worries and any pain or struggles that may be at home. She should be happy she can contribute to a smile, making memories and giving children a fun special night.
    Someone should sit at the edge of her property and give those kids candy and a smile.

• Shelley says:

If she hands out those letters, she won’t be anomynous for long. What a twit.

• Claudia says:

Who is she to judge who is obese or not? I bet her house gets teepee’d or she gets no trick or treaters at all.

• Mary says:

This is so WRONG on all accounts. This B**** ought to be ashamed of herself. Talk about being mean and arrogant. There are several other things she could hand out, pencils, dollar store toys, book marks, even tooth brushes, but letters? and “fat” letters at that?! I am not usually this kind of person, but I so agree with Scott DeRosiers, if I lived there I would give these same kids rotten eggs and tell them to have fun, heck, I’d probably join in the fun myself!! Talk about a Halloween Witch!!!!!

• Claudia says:

Who is she to judge WHO is obese or not??? I bet her house gets tp’d or gets no trick or treaters at all.

• joyce says:

Why not just give a healthy treat to all of them?

• Josef says:

Way to combat American excess. Hopefully this can become a thing. Obesity is an unhealthy lifestyle choice, and kudos to this mom for electing not to be a part of it.

• Billy says:

Not being a part of it?? She’s blaming sugar and candy for the kids being obese, yet will be giving these very things to kids who she considers to be “slim” enough. Going by her logic, she’s actually contributing to more obesity by giving out candy period. If the pretentious B was genuinely concerned, she would be giving out either no treats or healthy treats to all trick or treaters, not just a condescending letter to the overweight ones.

• Glinda The Good Witch` says:

Perhaps an apple or a healthy treat would have been a more appropriate message the the children…..

• Shari says:

Wow! The audacity of this woman! Let the kids have fun! Hand out something other than candy to all the children if you feel so strongly about this. But never ever bully the overweight kids! The village that raised her did a “splendid” job.

• Ashley says:

I’d bet money this is a radio hoax.

• Tammy says:

Well hopefully when Karma gets this women you will all still be around to ENJOY IT!!!!!! I feel bad for her kids if she has any. They will grow up to be rude and judgmental just like her.

• Kikariki says:

If I took my kid trick-or-treating and they received this letter, I would give that lady a piece of my mind! Not only would that be insulting and hurtful to my child, but she would be saying that I am not doing my job as a parent. RUDE!

• Girl…it’s not your mind you should be giving her (obviously she lost hers…but that’s another matter)…but you should give her a piece of good old fashioned “mind your own business” knuckles. A few parents who have the guts to do what is right…and she’ll get the message to turn her light off next halloween and keep her self righteous opinions to herself. ;-)

• kim haze says:

this women is so mentally mest up. that is so harmful for the kids, not only extremely offensive. If anyone did that to my child; believe me, she will get her opinion on what I think of her as well. in black and blue across her face.

• Barb says:

I understand her intention but hurting someone’s feelings or making them feel bad about themselves is not the way to go…

• Glinda The Good Witch` says:

Apparently the Wicked Witch of Fargo ND does still exist.. Grrrrr

• Debi M says:

#1 who is this woman to judge another?
    #2what a way to give a child self esteem-wrong!
    #3obese people sometimes cant just control it as being obese is a disease just like AA or gambling or other diseases.
    #4it wont surprise me if her place gets egged or something for doing this (not me as I don’t live near Fargo ND
    #5what comes around goes around-will she really want to do this. She better take a second thought. Also, Halloween is about dressing up in costumes running around the neighbor trick n treating. Some people give out health snacks instead of candy.
    #6I will pray for her because she is not normal.

• noneofurbeezwax says:

well I’m getting my paintball gun ready and I’m all stocked up on tp

• selena says:

all i can say to that lady is fuck off

• steve says:

busybody, look up the definition if you don’t know it

• Mark says:

Who is going to own the most eggged and TP’d house in Fargo?

• Dennis Holt says:

You can’t get your moment of fame is you turn odd the light.

• Wow says:

So glad I don’t live in Fargo. Are you going to give an overly under sized child in your opinion 7 extra candies? Do any of you have any idea what judge mentalist crazies do to young minds and body images. You should be ashamed of yourself as an adult, and I hope another child does not develop anorexia or bulimia due to your dimented view of the world.

• slm says:

Trick or treat!!!! Egg her house!!!

• Rick says:

I guess this woman does not understand the concept of Trick or Treat!

• Mark says:

Sad for the children, whether she is that miserable or just too low of an IQ to know better, hopefully other parents will let her know just what they think of her criticizing kids on a day meant to be fun for them.

• Kel says:

Listen if she really cared she would be trying to help…bridge relationships with the neighbors and their kids the other 364 days of the year…I wonder if that’s really happening???prob not…how sad:(

• Mike from Minnesota says:

I think it’s great this letter got so much pablicity. Hopefully she doesn’t actually give the letter to kids, but so far her idea to remind parents that obesity is a problem has been a success. Maybe all of us discussing this issue will take a second look at what our children are eating this season.

• Lisa says:

I sure hope your kids receive some sort of letter that refers to their mother being the worst kind of person! Nothing like really helping a child’s self esteem. Boy you are just such a trend setter. You must really hate kids! I guess it is Halloween – way to be creepy!

• Jay says:

We’ve taken away enough of a ‘normal’ childhood. Trick or treating is one of the few fun things left for a child to do.

• kAREN says:

I think she should keep her letter to herself. Sounds a bit like bullying. She could just hand out healthy treats.

• Sheila says:

Just because a child is not obese, does not mean that they can not become diabetic. My 8 year old granddaughter was just diagnosed with diabetes, she is at the exact weight for her age. This lady should be giving out apples or other fruit.

• JWnTX says:

HA! Good to know that busybody libs live in ND, too!

• Joe says:

Good for her. She has the courage to bring to light a serious problem that parents are ignoring because they are also obese. Parents need to slim down and be an example to their kids. They also need to start preparing nutritious meals that require more work than picking up a pizza for dinner on their way home. If you have kids, you need to take proper care of them and give them what they need and not necessarily what they want.

• Jay says:

I guess witches are real.

• Sheila says:

Hey douch bag…. Hope the next time you go out to stuff your face at a restaurant they tell you you’re too FAT and can’t eat there!!! You should be ashamed of yourself and should NEVER have children!!!
    You’re an IDIOT!!!!!

• Coolmommy says:

I am thoroughly disgusted! She is obviously not genuinely concerned for the overall health of these children! Any decent human being that is even slightly educated would see that this letter is simply not the avenue to “curb” obesity. Not to mention the mental health implications here. How about the bullying aspect? I bet you’d want to be the kid to get that letter in front of your friends. This women is a nut. I think she needs to find a hobby as she must have far too much time on her hands!!!!!!!

• Michael Ruff says:

Does anyone know if she actually gave out the letter?

• jjj says:

I agree with her about parent responsibility and I wish my mom had been stricter with my diet when I was a kid, because I got chubby… but this… this would have crushed me if I had read it as a kid. It would have confused me a lot. This is how eating disorders start. It may be just the shocker some parents need to start doing better by their kids, but giving the letter STRAIGHT TO THE KID? No. Turning a fun thing into a big pile of shame is not the way to go about solving the crisis of obesity in children.

• Angelyn says:

So people who want to save their money love to go for contract deals. The best mobile phone deals are now easy to compare like a child’s play with the emergence of slew of online mobile phone portals in the market.

• Kristen says:

They should aim high…like at her face.

• Cyndi Loun says:

She says it takes a village to raise kids. how would she like it if we told her how to raise her kids. I think she would give those kids a complex about them selves. and as far as i’m concerned, That’s picking on over weight child which is a form of bullying!

• mommatocharlie says:

you took the words right out of my mouth!

• Riley W says:

ALSO THE PEOPLE AGAINST HER DOES THAT MEAN YOU FOR OBESE CHILDREN?

• Marie McG says:

Umm…America is a COUNTRY not a State! I think she went off the deep-end in deciding for every other parent what she’s going to do for THEIR child (not hers). I believe that if she wants to help out people who are “obese” then give out pencils, erasers, stickers, whatever…do not hand a kid who has been battling weight issues for years a letter while his/her friends get candy. That’s just absurd.

• More than likely, she doesn’t even have a child…or an animal for that matter. If she did…both species would have run away from her tyranny a long time ago. People who can’t, won’t, or don’t have children have way too many opinions and all of them stink.

• Andy says:

Man u r judgemental

• liz says:

Sure, if that’s what you think. You’re as crazy as she is. Geezz

• Trish Gauldin says:

This lady can’t have kids. This has to be the biggest village idiot! Ugh.. I am so furious at this lady. She obviously is just seeking some attention and of course doing it in a horrible way. Shame on her!

• GetaClue says:

Type 1 Diabetes (aka the “thin kid” kind) has nothing to do with diet. Ignorance is bliss when combined with a sanctimonious attitude.

• Joe says:

How do you know she cannot have kids?