Insane 17-story waterslide coming to Schlitterbahn

Posted on: 2:05 pm, November 19, 2013, by , updated on: 03:32pm, November 19, 2013

KANSAS CITY — Schlitterbahn, a water park in Kansas City, Kan., is building the tallest, fastest water slide in the world.

The Verrückt (which means “insane” in German) Meg-A-Blaster will make its debut next May when the park opens. The company recently shared photos and video of construction of the new 17-story thrill slide.

IMG_5630-225x300 (1)On the ride, four-person rafts will plummet down from the tower and speed across a five-story hill.

Schlitterbahn is a family-owned and operated company based in New Braunfels, Texas. Schlitterbahn began its first park, Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort, in 1979. Since then, Schlitterbahn has developed three waterparks located in Texas and one in Kansas City, Kan.

A fact sheet obtained by FOX 4 from Schlitterbahn indicates the current record for ‘World’s Tallest Waterslide’ is held by Kilimanjaro at Aguas Quentes Country Club in Rio de Janiero, Brazil. That slide stands 137. 5 ft. tall.

The new slide is being developed by Jeff Henry, and the exact dimensions will be revealed at an official measuring event in the Spring of 2014. The fact sheet notes that the tower is constructed out of railroad tanker cars that have been cut and welded into a single vertical tower.

• David Patrzykont says:

As a season ticket holder the past two years, I’m excited yet disappointed. This slide was supposed to be done this summer, yet like everything else with Schlitterbahn, it was not done on time. I would like to see them get on track and get everything done like they promised in the beginning.

• Yes, it’s good to focus on the terrible suffering you’ve had to go through, getting the tallest, fastest, steepest water slide in the world…later than you wanted it. I will pray for you in these challenging times.

• David Patrzykont says:

Either you misunderstood what I was trying to say, or you are purposely trolling. That was not a “woe is me” statement. But the fact remains that Schlitterbahn has been dreadfully behind schedule since the very beginning. At this point they should be done or near completion with their entire complex. Yet, they have barely expanded since they first opened several years ago. My point was that they continue to make promises of expansions and new exciting attractions to get people to buy passes and then they don’t deliver.

Regarding prices, it is 115 for a season pass if you are a new ticket holder. 37 per day. But, because they have not expanded much, be prepared to stand in line at least 30 minutes for most slides. If you think I’m just blasting Schlitterbahn for the fun of it, I’m not. I am a lifelong resident of KCK so I am glad to see good things happening in my hometown. But, the person who said Schlitterbahn is way better than Oceans of Fun is only right if you are considering the free parking and the fact that you can bring food in. There are more slides and access to Worlds of Fun. Not even a close argument.

• Nicola says:

Made me laff so much! Thanks

• Richard Hunt says:

I’ve worked there an what they are telling guest is the’re is no completion date because they don’t know. It’s funding.issues which is hard to believe when daily.tickets cost you thru the nose. Why anyone would pay this price is beyond me especially when for a 20 min drive an The same money you get 2parks instead of just one?

• Joshua Allen says:

Ticket prices are not that bad. And Ocean’s of fun is no where near as good as Schliterbahn

• Drew says:

How much is it to go to that park for a daily pass? I saw that the season ticket pass is around $110 (It’s cheaper for those who renew). That’s a pretty darn good price for those that live close enough to go a few times a month.

• Good to hear Something Positive about this Wonderful Waterslide!!!! Yes, that’s a Very Good price for a season ticket!! I’m also wondering what a daily pass costs!! :)