Tech N9ne talks about lighting the Mayor’s Christmas Tree
LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. – The world sees Tech N9ne now as the founder of Strange Music and an internationally known rapper.
He admits, his music can be shocking, “I have some psycho in my music, you know what I mean, but everybody has their own psycho.”
But don’t let the man on stage fool you.
“Oh I’m Tech N9ne, do this, do that, you know what I mean? I’m actually a human being, this is just my job,” Tech said.
Tech grew up on Kansas City’s East side near 9th and Woodland. His family was short on money, but he says they had a lot of love.
He’s come a long way since then, now his goal is to give back to people in need in Kansas City. Last year Tech N9ne performed a concert for the Love Fund for Children called the Gift of Rap, but he also gives on a smaller scale.
“When it’s cold, we make these sweatshirts for the homeless and skullies and gloves, and we hand them out, just on a humbug, we don’t do it for attention or nothing,” he said.
Earlier this year Tech was recruited to help Mayor Sly James encourage young people to go to school, but he was still surprised when he was asked to light the Mayor’s Christmas Tree.
“That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard!” he said laughing.
The money from the Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund helps families in need, a cause he’s honored to help.
“I like to help. My mom said I was here to help,” he said.
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- No sign of Malaysia Airline wreckage; questions over stolen passports
- Sister: Mother who drove with children into ocean thought there were 'demons'