Tech N9ne talks about lighting the Mayor’s Christmas Tree

Posted on: 10:34 pm, November 26, 2013, by , updated on: 10:09am, November 27, 2013

LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. – The world sees Tech N9ne now as the founder of Strange Music and an internationally known rapper.

He admits, his music can be shocking, “I have some psycho in my music, you know what I mean, but everybody has their own psycho.”

But don’t let the man on stage fool you.

“Oh I’m Tech N9ne, do this, do that, you know what I mean? I’m actually a human being, this is just my job,” Tech said.

Tech grew up on Kansas City’s East side near 9th and Woodland.  His family was short on money, but he says they had a lot of love.

He’s come a long way since then, now his goal is to give back to people in need in Kansas City.  Last year Tech N9ne performed a concert for the Love Fund for Children called the Gift of Rap, but he also gives on a smaller scale.

“When it’s cold, we make these sweatshirts for the homeless and skullies and gloves, and we hand them out, just on a humbug, we don’t do it for attention or nothing,” he said.

Earlier this year Tech was recruited to help Mayor Sly James encourage young people to go to school, but he was still surprised when he was asked to light the Mayor’s Christmas Tree.

“That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard!” he said laughing.

The money from the Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund helps families in need, a cause he’s honored to help.

“I like to help. My mom said I was here to help,” he said.

Connect with Abby Eden: Facebook |  Twitter | Email

• Mikki Torres says:

I am so excited for him. Tech has done great things in his personal life and his career. He deserves to have something like this in his life.
    He is smart and talented. Maybe a little cocky sometimes, but when you have had a life like his. You get to be.
    No one has given him anything in his life. He wanted his music career and works night and day for it. Working Hard for the past 20+ years just making it come true when so many people told him no. He does what musicians only dream of. Making his music his way with no corporation looming over him.
    Way to go tech.

• Steel says:

What an inspirational person. It’s people like him who actually deserve the fame.

• jayme fritsch says:

You know that was a very ignorant comment. Seriously a gangster rapper? Thats statement alone peoves you know.nothing.about him. He is nowhere neer that. I have 2.children, and he has beena inspiration to me and I would be honored for him to be a rold model to my children. His lyrics alone have changed my life. I can not stand racist, or people who catigorize people.

• jayme fritsch says:

And excuse the typing im on a phone. Congrats tech you are amazing, and tjis year is finally your year! You have earned anf deserve every honor you recieve I love you,!!

• ^S^ says:

Huss, he goes by tech because of his fast rapping skills. It’s not a negative message, you’re just paranoid and close minded. Do your research before you start doggin on him dude.

• Dallas9 says:

Huss..you know nothing about this man or you would not be talking like that. This is coming from someone who has closely followed and supported this man for about 17 years. He is one of the GREATEST people I have ever met.

• Emiliano says:

Cool he was wearing a hoodie my sister made him in one of those clips

• Samuel says:

Greatest artist to EVER pick up a microphone! TECH N999999NE!!! “Technician I am, whole heartedly, in life and in death.”

• Uzi Tha Loc says:

lol, for a person named truth, you sure speak the opposite.

• La Crosse Logic says:

lol! I agree with Uzi. IMO he would be one of the most sincere and caring satanists I’ve ever come across. The video you posted has himself explaining that he has heaven and hell fighting for his mindstate/soul, which is basically just saying that there is good and evil in him (all of us). In no way does that make anyone satanist, fool.

• Truth says:

ey don’t get me wrong I think TEch is one of the best.. but he’s stuck between the two. I’m not even religious. I just regurgitate data as I see it. But ONLY if it’s valid. Now let me validate that for you.