Pipeline explosion sends fireball 300 feet into air

Posted on: 1:16 am, November 29, 2013, by , updated on: 06:53pm, November 29, 2013

HOUSTONIA, Mo. — An overnight explosion at the Panhandle Eastern Pipeline Company near Hughesville, Mo., in Pettis County lit up the sky for miles early Friday morning.  Fox 4 viewers from more than 30 miles away reported seeing the fireball in the sky.

A spokesperson from Panhandle Eastern says a 30-inch pipeline ruptured just before midnight, causing the explosion. Panhandle Eastern Pipeline Co. is about 90 miles from Kansas City.

No injuries were reported. Three homes were evacuated, but by mid-morning on Friday, the residents had been allowed back in.

“The gas has been rerouted from this area so there will be no impact to customer deliveries. The company and the appropriate regulatory agencies will conduct an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident,” wrote Vicki Granado, spokesperson for Panhandle Eastern Pipe Line Co.

Investigators are still working to determine was caused the explosion.

Watch our earlier report:

See YouTube video:

(Viewer Video, Courtesy: Brenda Powell)

(Viewer Video, Courtesy: John Pahlow)

• slfinnell says:

Reblogged this on Katy Trail Creations and commented:
    Woke us up in Sedalia, 15 miles away. Thought there was an earthquake or something!! You could hear the roar from the fire for 10 to 20 minutes afterwards. Praying for our friends and family in that area as well as the emergency crews on duty. Stay safe!!

• Carl says:

My wife and I were coming out of walmart in Sedalia and could hear the roar and see the fireball. Emailed pics to fox 4

• Bill Davis says:

We saw flame in Eldon, 75 miles away! Absolutely massive

• larry says:

at 50hiway near downtown Sedalia felt rumble then roar then fire

• dj says:

are u guys shure its pipelines? I think its somthing else but they use pipeline as a cover up..

• Shure wood like to know says:

What else do you suspect it may be? If I were the suspicious typt I might suspect sabotage by a group against the Keystone XL Pipeline or against tapping our own natural resources such as domestic gas and oil. I’m pretty shure by the video footage that it was indeed a gas pipeline and I’d bet everyone else is pretty shure of it too.
      It SURE would be a stretch to use a gas pipeline rupture to cover up something else, what else could create that intensity of noise and flame?

• Sarah says:

It was a substation, Not Panhandle company itself. And it is East of Houstonia.

• Emilee says:

Fire and smoke can been seen all the way from here in Clinton, MO. I work in emergency services and we have received numerous calls on the fire that is so huge everyone thought it was a fire in our county. We have sent equipment up that way to help our neighbors.

• christy karman says:

Woke up in Sedalia to a massive explosion,shook the house,looked out the window to find a glowing orange sky and giant fireball,the roar was so Loud.I thought a comet or drone or plane had cashed.Scariest thing ever!

• Connor says:

I was on scene within 15 minutes. The fire is in the middle of a large field.

• Amber says:

I work in emergency services as well. The location of the explosion was in the area of Rt D and Rt H just north of Hughesville. Like Emilee said, calls have been received from counties all around from people thinking it happened in their immediate area, but this is the exact location.

• Mudd says:

I live 10 miles east of Boonville. It looked so large and bright, I thought it WAS in Boonville. Nope-60 miles away.

• Jenise says:

Seen it on Hwy 7 just east of Harrisonville near Urich area as we were driving. It was huge and bright and you could see the sky light up even more with explosions!

• Brandon says:

i watched in happen from mandeville about 75 to 80 miles away

• Matthew says:

Sedalia mo by bings my house was shaking then saw the sky was orange. My windows rattle.

• edmond edwards says:

huge roar and giant fireball just north of town of hughesville where I live…finally faded out around an hour and a half after it started….sirens stopped, traffic is gone from H highway now…..things are back to normal

• live in houstonia the rumble and the roar was deafening, the first fire ball looked like an atomic bomb, then there seemed to be seveal smaller bursts with constant fire shooting up

• Rob Hardwick says:

Sedalia over by East Sedalia Baptist Church I was awake and sitting on the North end of my house. When it first blew I thought a train had derailed and a tanker car had exploded. I jumped in my car and went to help, then I realized it was North of town and I thought maybe Waterloo somehow exploded. Then I seen it was further North then that. When I finally got the closest I got I am pretty sure I was standing right by this guy with the camera and we appeared to be about a mile away from it and could literally feel the heat.
    I will say this, I was in Iraq for 1 year and 11 days starting in March of 2003 and was there for the shock and awe campaign. I thought I had seen it all there but, I seen nothing comparable to the explosion tonight.

• Bonnie Barnett says:

Could see the fire from around 40 miles away. Could hear the constant rumble of the burning. It was phenomenal !

• karenfifelski says:

I wish our news channel would cover this. They are too busy talking about Black Friday and interviewing shoppers. Sheesh

• The sun and wind are free non explosive inputs for the energy we need…the job creation for renewables in getting the masive infrastructure needed for converting to renewable energy are safer jobs and longer lasting jobs. And in the end our energy bills will be cheaper and not blow us up if they spill or spew.

• btruth says:

It’s called GREY TERROR. It’s planned PRE-WAR TACTICS! Russian SPESTNAZ have been here for months! We’ve been saying for months to expect this & to expect more; train derailments, mysterious explosions, MAJOR FIRES & general sabotage & subversion. The FIAT FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE IS DEAD & WW3 IS ALREADY STARTING. All the signs are here! The status quo is Order out of chaos & Hegelian dialectic!

• Amused says:

btruth, lol why don’t you breal? You are having a psychotic breakdown and you can now get treatment for that with the ACA going into effect. Good luck with your recovery.

• Yeah, don’t let those local news channels in to report this; just let the feds and the company in there; sounds too secretive all ready; how old is this pipeline? get the name and background on it….

• Hi mates, fastidious paragraph and pleasant urging commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying
    by these.

• WWW says:

POISONING PEOPLES FOOD ! ! ! ! RR 620 & LOHMAN’S CROSSING ((( AUSTIN ))) , LAMAR BLVD. & RUNDBERG LN ((( AUSTIN ))) , / INWOOD & LOVER’S LANE ((( DALLAS ) PRESTON RD & FOREST LN (( DALLAS ))) , KATHERINE MATHES (( CURTIS MATHES TV’S )) , DE BEERS DIAMONDS , PRISCILLA PRESLEY ((( TARGET AT MARSH LN & NORTHWEST HWY ))) , DEK / SANDY / JED DAVIS ((( HIILLSBOROR , TX ))) , AMC MOVIE GUY ((( CALIFORNINA )) , WALMART ( THE WALTONS )) , DAVE THOMAS ((( WENDY’S ))) , BECKY / SHANE ALLISON , U.S . & TEXAS SUPREME COURT JUSTICES INLCUDING (((( ANTONIN SCALIA & JOHN MARSHALL ))) , LAINGE FUQAI & ALLEN WOLF , VIK MEDICAL GROUP (( LAKEWAY , TX )) , ROBERT MIRSKY (((( SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY ))) , RICK RUSSELL , CHRISTOPHER SGIONET (( HILLCREST HIGHSCHOOL )) , TILLER RUSSELL , SCOTT MATOON , SETH / JEREMY ROMAN’S (( PRESTON & FOREST ))) , ERIC COHN ((( BROOKHAVEN COUNTRY CLUB ))) , TOM / HADLEY HICKS (( FORMER OWNLER , TX RANGERS ))) , , GEORGE BUSH SR. / JR. , ZOOBAH (( POLITICS )))) , F.B.I , BILLY KARLIMBOPOLIS , JEFF VERHALEN , KATIE MACHIR , ROWLAND ROBINSON , JOHN GADDI (( MAFIA )) , REAGAN’S (( POLITICS ARE RACIST JEWISH PEOPLE )) , MICHAEL PULLMAN (((( LEACHMAN CIRCLE , DALLAS , TX )) , ALLYSSA / MARK RUBIN , KAUFMAN ((( COIT & ARAPAHO / PATAGONIA ))) , DE BEERS DIAMONDS , ADT SECURITY LAKEWAY , TX , GEORGE BUSH ((( RACIST JEWISH PERSON THE MEDIA HIDES IT THOUGH !!! ))) MEXICAN MAFIA , PAUL PATAK (( PEARCE HIGH SCHOOL ))) , DIRECTORY & all the staff at lakeway reginonal hospital ((( dr. hawthorne & DAUGHTER WORKS AT WALGREENS ON RIVERSIDE IN AUSTIN )))