Tivoli Cinemas reach fundraising goal for digital conversion
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A cherished theater in Westport won’t have to go dark after all. The owner of Tivoli Cinemas is thanking the metro for saving his theater. Jerry Harrington said he feared the worst if he couldn’t raise enough money to convert his film projectors to digital by the end of the year.
That’s when movie distributors will make the switch from film to digital. But thanks to generous and loyal customers — the Tivoli has raised $130,000 through an online fundraising campaign on Kickstarter.
“It’s not only gratifying but it’s emotional for me, but I got teary eyes a lot this month,” Harrington said.
Harrington also said a lot of people have been sharing their personal stories about the theater with him.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- British woman says she wants abortion for better chance at starring on "Big Brother"
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet