‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson suspended for anti-gay remarks

Posted on: 9:54 pm, December 18, 2013, by , updated on: 05:51am, December 19, 2013

Phil Robertson is the patriarch of the Robertson family as seen in A&E's "Duck Dynasty." (From A&E Networks)

(CNN) — Phil Robertson, a star of A&E’s “Duck Dynasty,” has been suspended indefinitely after slamming gays in a magazine interview.

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,” the network said in a statement Wednesday.

“His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

In an interview in the January issue of GQ, Robertson equates gays and sinners, and appears to compare homosexuality to bestiality.

“It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical,” he’s quoted as saying.

Asked what, in his mind, is sinful, Robertson replied: “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

He also made comments regarding race and growing up in Louisiana before the civil rights era.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field. … They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word!

“Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues,” GQ quotes Robertson as saying.

“Duck Dynasty” follows a Louisiana bayou family that has “made a fortune on duck calls,” as A&E describes it.

Season 5 of is set to premiere January 15. According to A&E, its fourth season premiere in August drew nearly 12 million viewers to become the No. 1 nonfiction series telecast in cable history.

By Dana Ford

• Wayne Finn says:

God forbid you speak your beliefs and opinions anymore…

• Spice Thomas says:

I have been up in arms over all of this. People came back w/ A&E’s Contract ect…Oh who gives a hoot! When we lose our right to speak our mind in this good ole USA it’s time for us to just pack our bags. One by one they are trying to take our FREEDOMS. Sick to death of them even making it an issue. I say, GROW UP AMERICA! It is Tit for Tat …you offend me because ” You hurt my feelings when you said ” Blah Blah Blah… well I say to them ” You are hurt my little feelins because you are taking my right not conforming and catering to your lifestyle. It can go on an on. I will say one thing because I could absolutely write a message…I am 100 percent behind Phil Robertson!!! Wish I was one of his family members you wouldn’t even be able to shut me up!

• Chip Yeomans says:

A letter from a fan to Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty:

Dear Phil,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

• Lisa says:

Everyone knows they are Christians that speak their minds. Even gays will say.. Everyone has their right to their beliefs and opinions.

• Chad Ring says:

What happened to freedom of speech

• Pam says:

All I can say is …Why did they allow Archie Bunker on TV with his beliefs. Phil made the show. I will boycott A&E until they reinstate him.

• Sk says:

Yea no surprise, the caucasian community would stand by him. I don’t even watch the show but while you are boycotting I’m not going to tune in for as long as they keep him off

• derek says:

Because all in the family was scripted you fucking idiot your just as ignorant as the slackjawed redneck that said it to begin with people you are the reason america is a lost cause you dumb dumb fool go back to watching american idol or watching hunny booboo

• Eric Johnson says:

Now we will see if the rest of the “Quack Pack” backs Robertson up by refusing to do any more filming until he is reinstated.

• Chelle says:

We can give Westboro all the religious freedom one could have. Give them full force media coverage, radio talk shows ect ect. Yet Phil answer a question with an honest answer quoting the Bible and we cut his head off. There is more to the story than what is shown here.

• Mrt says:

Awesome Go! Phil! He is speaking his mind and the truth! They wanted true LA family & they got it! and in my opinion its not just good ole LA family it is a lot of families around this God lovin country!!

• tediposladek@att.net says:

The only thing that is “more to the story” is merely “money”. A&E is afraid advertisers will pull out, or threaten to do so, due to fear of people boycotting their businesses, if it appears they are condoning Phil Robertson’s remarks. They are trying to stay ahead of the story but it’s a no-win situation as many are also feeling their personal rights of expression are being violated. I always find it interesting how an ultra-conservative opinion from a celebrity is usually given so much attention…a single interview in a print magazine? When many liberal entertainers are so vocal on talk shows, stage perfornances, and media circuits voicing their own political and personal opinions, which may offend various segments of society. It’s not as if it was a view which was promoted on the Duck Dynasty program in any way. It’s no real shock. I personally don’t agree with him in any way, but I believe he has a right to his own opinion as I have a right to mine…and the freedom to express it without the fear of monetary or physical reprocussion.

• Nathan says:

Well, I think he has the right to think what he thinks and I applaud him for speaking his mind openly. I bet A&E will re-think the decision they have made.

• Shelly says:

He has done nothing wrong but stated his opinion. This is just another step toward the persecution of Bible believing Christians! We will pray for the Robertsons because they are one of the few programs out there that is good for the family.

• Evangeline says:

As someone so aptly put it on FB -

You can expose a boob during a superbowl game, use God’s name in vain, and show sexual scenes during prime TV…and it’s okay. But let a conservative man who professes to be a Christian express his opinions or beliefs and he’s removed indefinitely from TV! What’s wrong here? What ever happened to simply switching channels if you don’t like what’s on? Or not watching a particular show (Archie Bunker) if you didn’t like the views expressed? Maybe it’s because there are fewer and fewer Christians that stand up or SPEAK up when something is wrong?

• Greg says:

This is call on all Christians to boycott all A&E shows except Duck Dynasty until Phil is reinstated. Send A&E an email and let them know what you think feedbackaetv@aenetworks.com

• Brian says:

I will also boycott A&E. the Duck Dynasty family needs to pack their bags and move to another network.

• CA says:

He certainly has a right to freedom of speech, but he willingly signed a contract agreeing to be a public “face” of A&E. No one else would be able to go out as a public face of their employer and spout hate-speech without discipline action…why should he?

A&E isn’t silencing his freedom of speech, they’re simply using their own freedom of speech to say “we don’t agree with his opinion and will not associate ourselves with him anymore”.

• Sheila Baker says:

apparently we are no longer allowed to voice our opinion. heaven forbid if it falls on the ears of someone who doesn’t agree. this “offensive” thing is WAY out of control. grow up…..get over it.

• CONG says:

I think Jesus would have liked their beards. It’s hilarious how many Christians spew hate in the name of ‘Jesus’ and the ‘gospel’ have you even read the bible? http://www.facebook.com/churchofnogod

• Ruth says:

A&E needs to relax,

• donald ritchie says:

Good for Phil; shame on A&E.

• Joe says:

He did not DISCRIMINATE, he simply voiced his opinion. The GLAAD communities are allowed to say whatever they want and push their agenda to the masses. The only thing Polically Correct now is if the left wing extremes approves…

Hopefully A&E lose their #1 show to another company. I would laugh if the Robertsons decide not to film another show for them and move to CMT or something else.

• Peggy Porter says:

I agree that Phil gave his own opinion in the interview. He did not express those opinions on the air on A&E, with which he had a contract. He didn’t express those comments as the ‘star’ of any program, but as a man. A God fearing AMERICAN man! Anyone who has watched Duck Dynasty should know that it’s not about duck calls, but about FAITH, FAMILY, and FACIAL HAIR!

• Shawn says:

Have the idiots at GQ ever watched the show ? They should know a thing or two about his beliefs/religion. Ask a question, get an answer. What he said wasn’t bad in my opinion, which is what it is, an opinion. I thought we we’re all entitled to one.. As for everyone at Duck Dynasty, tell A&E to screw off !!!

• Joe says:

A&E should drop the show. It doesn’t have any real value anyway and if they want to spew hatred and racism, let them do it on a pay per view channel. As for me, I don’t pay to watch that type of trash.

• Joe says:

Have you even watched the show? Obviously no due to your comment. The show is actually a family show which shows family/religious values. Try researching before you speak… And racism-gues you haven’t seen one of the kids on the show!!

• Lyn Matthews says:

Uncalled for. Focus on the principle here – Americans still have the right to free speech and it doesn’t matter what Phil says anywhere else, he’s entitled to speak as he chooses, just as A&E is entitled to edit the content of the show. All reality shows are subject to the same kind of situation and A&E is setting a precedent here that interferes with our rights as American citizens.

We will boycott the show until the suspension is over, and we encourage every member of the show to refuse to be taped until he is reinstated.

• diane espino says:

Phil, when God is for you, who can be against you. Remember, God will always bless those who stands for righteousness. Plus vengeance is his. This world is so dark and hollywood is satans play ground, but Duck Dynasty shed a little wholesomeness back into our homes. Even though you may never want to come back to the show, and I for one will miss you, I’d rather pray for your strength to stay true to God. May God bless you and your family abundantly all the days of your lives.

• FT says:

Phil Robertson, you are a hero! You speak for all of us.

• BRADLEY HUSSONG says:

if you dont like what phil has to say then dont watch the show its that simple. But i will say there are millions of people that love this show and i no for a fact that if they dont let him back on i will put money on it that his family will back him up and not do the show then A&E will lose all of those viewers witch is completely stupid in my opinion.

• Karen says:

It’s quite odvious you people have done absolutely NO research on this subject. Phil did not get suspended for acting on his 1A rights. He was suspended because of his violation to A&E contract, that is the ethics portion of the contract. He is a spokes person for A&E and had an interview with GQ and did not tell A&E about it. A&E is a BIG, BIG, supporter for the LGBT. Nobody, and I mean Nobody has the right to speak their opinion on their beliefs without your bosses knowing about it. It is a violation of the contract he signed. He knowingly and willingly spoke out against his EMPLOYER. This had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with their 1A rights, if it was, all employees would have the right to get their jobs back. This is a legal contract issue. 2 days ago there were websites that stated this issue. These websites have now become convienently closed down. Imagine that! I guess when it comes to the media and ths truth, the truth never sells. Will the lies of media, politics & religion never end. Shame on Americans or should I say the human race for believing EVERYTHING you read . Our society is lost and given in to BS propaganda. There is no truth reporting anymore, just politically correct lies. The saying goes, if it doesn’t make sense it usually isn’t. A major corporation like A&E would never fire someone for their 1A rights. Their not that stupid to put themselves in a no win lawsuit situation It goes way deeper than what your reading people, way deeper. Obviously lies sell, truth on the other hand…?

• Tyler S says:

So if I go up to your 80 year old mother and yell in her face about how she’s worth less than a ten cent prostitute, I guess it’s wrong of you to do anything because hey, I was just voicing my opinion right? If you confront me for me actions, then it seems as though you’re being politically correct, (which most of these comments on here are demonizing). “The man who keeps his tongue, keeps his life”

• Karen says:

Tyler, why didn’t yoy keep your tongue?

• Karen says:

Tyler, your the reason this country is soooo f***ked up!! You haven’t got a clue of what humans have earned or what they deserve! You are oblivious. Prove to me your human equality based on todays documented intelligence!

• Merle says:

Phill did nothing wronge,screw a&e

• Jane Doe says:

Nothing has happened to freedom of speech, you can say what ever you like, but for every action, there’s a reaction, so if you say something there’s likely to be a repercussion. So the idiot redneck had it coming, he deserves what he got.