BELTON, Mo. -- A man was killed early Thursday morning in a fire that consumed his mobile home.
The fire broke out at the man's home on Iris Street in the Springdale Mobile Home Park.
Firefighters say the fire appears to have started in the middle of the mobile home. The man was found in the hallway.
Neighbors told FOX 4 the victim was disabled and required two canes to walk. They say they heard a noise at about 8:30 a.m. and discovered the fire.
"All of the sudden I heard this pop, pop, pop pop and I got up and went to the kitchen window and I seen flames coming out of Dan's house and the flames was just coming out of the windows at that time but they were about eight to ten feet high," said neighbor Sandra Deal.
She said she put on her coat and boots and by the time she got out to the front of her trailer, his house was consumed by flames.
"I wanted to go into the house and get him and help him but there was no way I could do that. There was just too much fire," she said. "So I came back over here and just sat and cried."
Deal had lived next door to him for seven years. She said she listened to see if she could hear him holler or cry out; and said she listened for a smoke detector, but heard nothing.
The fire station is less than a mile from the mobile home, and firefighters responded within about three minutes.