Support Salvation Army Wildfire Relief

Smoke detectors help save three lives in Olathe fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OLATHE, Kan. -- Firefighters say smoke alarms saved a Olathe family of three Thursday morning. The fire began in the basement of the home in the 26000 block of W. 103rd Street in the Cedar Creek development.

Homeowner Michelle Fisher said she was sound asleep when an extension cord caught fire and set off her smoke detectors.

"They make a horribly annoying noise and that's good, woke us all up because it was about 4:30 this morning," she said.

The home suffered extensive soot and smoke damage but Fisher said she, her boyfriend and her mother all escaped unharmed because of the early warning from smoke detectors.

"Get your fire alarms, get your smoke detectors checked.  I just had mine replaced this summer and I'm so glad I did," Fisher said.

Email: rob.low@wdaftv4.com
Twitter: RobLowTV

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment