Class ring returned to woman after 70 years
WYOMING — Seventy years after she lost her husband — and her high school class ring — the ring found its way back to her.
Betty McAleenan had given the ring to her late husband Robert as a momentum of her. After they were married, he joined the Army as a bomber gunner. Robert had once said the ring was the closest thing to being with his beloved wife.
Robert and the ring made it through 38 missions over the South Pacific, but on the 39th they were both lost somewhere in New Guinea.
It took more than 40 years before crews found the plane’s wreckage. Another 30 past before the ring made its way back to Betty.
She cried when she saw the ring on Sunday.
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Missouri cop charged with rape, supplying intoxicants to minor
- Three taken to hospital in bus accident