KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Northland mansion was consumed by flames late Thursday night; the fire possibly starting in the electrical wiring, and now a prominent Kansas City family must deal with the loss of everything they had inside.
The fire started at about 10:30 p.m. at the home of Charles and Patty Garney in the 4200 block of N. Hickory, which had an estimated home value of $4.2 million. The Garneys are well-known among Kansas City leaders for their civic and charitable activities in Kansas City. They say they built the home to entertain crowds for fundraising events.
Mrs. Garney was the first to notice the fire and told her husband and a friend, who was staying with them. She saw the flames in the skylight and woke everybody up and got them out of the home they've lived in for about 20 years.
"Just kind of stood here and watched it burn but we're safe so that's the most important thing. And our friends were here last night for us and they're going to be here for us so we just have to figure out what we're going to do," said Patty Garney.
Firefighters think the fire originated in the attic and was burning for some time before the Garneys and their house guest arrived back home after a night at Sprint Center. When firefighters arrived, the home was fully engulfed in flames and firefighters called out three alarms to bring it under control.
They faced challenges due to the strong winds, which spread embers to neighboring homes.
The Garneys, through their company, Garney Construction, developed much of the Briarcliff commercial area.
Because of the massive area, firefighters expect they may have to remain on the scene for 24 hours.
See pictures from the fire in FOX 4 Kathy Quinn's report.