KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- In 1997, FOX 4 aired a special report on million-dollarhomes in Kansas City. At that time, we talked to Patty Garney, whose Briarcliff home went up in flames Thursday night, possibly due to an electrical problem.
Sixteen years ago she gave us a tour of her multi-million dollar home. Watch the video in the player above to see some of what she lost.
"When we first moved in I had to kind of pinch myself every morning to make sure this was not a dream and I was going to wake up and have the bubble burst. It's a castle. It's a dream come true. I feel like a princess," Patty Garney said in 1997.
The fire on Thursday started at about 10:30 p.m. in the 4200 block of N. Hickory. The home had an estimated value of $4.2 million. The Garneys are well-known among Kansas City leaders for their civic and charitable activities in Kansas City. They say they built the home to entertain crowds for fundraising events.
Mrs. Garney was the first to notice the fire and told her husband and a friend, who was staying with them. Click here for more on the fire and the interview with Patty Garney Friday morning, as she recalled being helpless and watching the flames spread through her house.