KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- One man is safe after waking up to flames throughout his house.
Firefighters responded to a house fire around 4 a.m. Wednesday near Thompson and Benton in Kansas City, Mo.
The homeowner told FOX 4 News his smoke detector woke him. He said he opened his bedroom door to a huge cloud of smoke and saw flames everywhere. After grabbing a coat for protection, he made his way outside.
The homeowner said he lives in the home with his two college-aged children who are in Colorado on Spring Break. He said he doesn't know how the fire started but added he was in the process of remodeling it.
He said he did not have home insurance.