KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Firefighters battled a two-alarm apartment fire Thursday morning at Deerbrook Apartments, located at 51st and Swope Parkway in Kansas City, Mo.
Resident Tony Knowles said the fire started when a maintenance man was repairing a pipe in his bathroom.
"It started in the bathroom with the maintenance man," Knowles said, adding that the maintenance man tried to extinguish the blaze first with water and then with a fire extinguisher. "Didn't work. He tried two times with it (the fire extinguisher) and it kind of went up in smoke."
Knowles lives in a basement apartment. The fire quickly spread to the second and third floors. Knowles said he ran back inside to rescue his puppy, Robinson. Knowles said all he has left is his puppy.
Twelve of the 24 units in the building were damaged during the fire. The maintenance man went door-to-door to ensure all the residents evacuated the building. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters remain on the scene at this time to make sure no hot spots rekindled.