Young gunshot victim improves in hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- There's good news Monday for a 10-year-old boy who was severely wounded last month in a shooting that killed his father.

Relatives say Ka'Vyea Tyson Currey is now breathing on his own. Doctors removed a chest tube Sunday.

The boy's mother spoke to reporters for the first time outside Children's Mercy Hospital.

"I don't want to leave him," said Tanesha Tyson, Ka'Vyea's mother. "He doesn't want me to leave him either. Every time I go out to the other room, he writes down, 'Get Mom.' It's kinda hard for him, the separation."

Among the injuries this boy suffered in the shooting was a collapsed lung. A respirator has been helping him breathe, and doctors repeatedly had to drain fluid from his lungs.

His family tells FOX 4 News that Ka'Vyea is now breathing on his own, no longer suffering from a collapsed lung. Relatives are happy that doctors may try to get the boy up and moving out of his hospital bed now. That's an important step in his recovery.

Donte Jefferson, 27, is accused of shooting Ka'Vyea last month when he walked up to a car the boy and his father were in at a gas station near 45th and Cleveland. Jefferson is charged with shooting and killing the boy's father, Ka'Vyea Currey Sr. A 5-year-old child also in the car, was not hurt.

In addition to suffering a collapsed lung, one of the shots injured Ka'Vyea's spine. His family is hopeful he'll be able to walk again.

The boy continues to receive get well cards from kids around the metro area. Tanesha Tyson's Facebook page is now dedicated to her son and there are posts wishing the boy well from around the world. A fund set up to pay for the child's long-term medical expenses already has more than $1,800.

A benefit for long term medical expenses for Ka'Vyea will take place Friday May 30 at 7 pm at the Eternal Life Church And Family Center, 3109 Troost.

In addition the family would like to thank those who have made donations at Bank of America. If contributors will leave contact info with the bank, they will receive a thank you note from the Tysons.


There was some concern that Jefferson may be released after he told a judge he planned to post bond. According to Forest Tyson, the boy's grandfather, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters-Baker made a personal visit to Children's Mercy Hospital to tell the boy herself that she would make sure Jefferson is not released from custody.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


  • Forest Tyson, Jr.

    DC, I’m not sure how to respond to your comment being that rhis is an article on my grandson’s recovery. You seem to have bypassed the entire story for what reason I’m not certain.

    Until this tragic event struck our family I didn’t even know who the Jackson County Prosecuting Attorney was, and why would or should I, not being a criminal or a crime victim.

    The point I’m trying to make is what does anything you’ve said have to do with my grandson’s improving condition or the promise the DA made to him to keep the monster off the streets forever? What?

    FTJ (Forest Tyson, Jr.)

  • Nicholle

    I, Crystal’s sister, consider Ka’Vyea family and am thanking God he’s doing so much better.

    I also don’t understand how you, DC, read the entire article and found a prosecutor’s comment to be the most relevant point here..? Smh, get a freakin life dude!!