Investigators still trying to put together timeline in Overland Park homicide investigation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- An Olathe man is having a tough time with the death of his brother. The body of Chidozie "Joe" Ojiaka was found Sunday afternoon. Investigators have been at the Overland Park home every day since.

Ojiaka's death has been ruled a homicide, police say he was stabbed to death. However, severe decomposition has slowed the investigation and it's been a challenge for police to put together a timeline.

Sam Ojiaka says his brother was a hard-working but private man. It wasn't uncommon to go a month or so without hearing from him, but it's been much longer since his family saw him.

"I talked to him probably around November, December," Sam explained.

Sam is devastated about his brother's murder. They didn't talk often, but he still loved him.

"It's very disturbing, have to take it one day at a time," he said.

Sam described his brother as hard-working, reliable and trustworthy.

"He gets up in morning, goes to auctions, buys cars to sell, towed people's vehicles," Sam said.

Joe Ojiaka did most of his work in Missouri. He ran a car lot and leased several properties. People who rented or worked for him all said the same thing, he was nice, but generally kept to himself. They also said they hadn't seen him in a very long time.

"We thought it was weird we hadn't seen him, but also we had been told he travels outside of the country from time to time, that's what we assumed had happened," explained Kim Johnson, who knew Joe through her brother that rented his property.

Ojiaka wasn't out of the country, he was dead in his home, possibly since before the beginning of the year. Investigators were back at the home Wednesday, continuing to gather evidence. Other than a cause of death, police haven't said if they've figured out 'when' he died.

Investigators are using all the information they can to put together a timeline. When police first entered the home on Sunday, it was apparent Ojiaka's body had been there quite a while. He was severely decomposed and the flies in the home numbered in the thousands.

Neighbors have been helpful, letting police know he hadn't cut his lawn in a long time. Neighbors also saw "shut off" notices being posted on his door from utility companies. Another clue, the company with the mortgage, started the foreclosure process just a week ago. Generally that begins months after payments stop.

Ojiaka's occupation is also helping investigators with the timeline. He drove a tow truck. It wasn't found at his home. It had been sold at an auction in Kansas City, Missouri. The truck was found near 35th and Prospect and towed.
When no one came to claim it, it was auctioned off. Again, another process that usually takes months.

Sam Ojiaka has no idea who would want to hurt his brother. His hope now is that the person is found.

"We hope that whoever did that will be caught and prosecuted to the maximum if possible," he said.

Joe Ojiaka's home is in the 7900 block of 75th street. It's near Lowell Avenue, between Antioch and Metcalf. Police say if you remember seeing anything strange in that area anytime in the last several months, they'd like to hear from you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s